The body of published works on Social Ecology is large and growing. Here is a listing of several of the leading authors and their published books. Updates to these listings can best be found on our blog pages.
- Rethinking Ecofeminist Politics (1991)
- Ecofascism: Lessons from the German Experience (co-written with Peter Staudenmaier) (1996)
- The Politics of Social Ecology (1996)
- The Murray Bookchin Reader (editor) (1997)
Books by Janet Biehl can be best acquired by contacting the respective publishers.
- Our Synthetic Environment (1962)
- Post-Scarcity Anarchism (1971, 1985, 2004))
- The Limits of the City (1974, 1986)
- The Spanish Anarchists: The Heroic Years (1977, 1993)
- Toward an Ecological Society (1980)
- The Ecology of Freedom (1982, 1991, 2005)
- The Modern Crisis (1986)
- The Rise of Urbanization and the Decline of Citizenship (1987) republished under the titles “Urbanization without Cities” (1992) and “From Urbanization to Cities” (1995)
- The Philosophy of Social Ecology: Essays on Dialectical Naturalism (1990, 1995)
- To Remember Spain: The Anarchist and Syndicalist Revolution of 1936 (1995)
- Re-Enchanting Humanity: A Defense of the Human Spirit Against Anti-humanism, Misanthropy, Mysticism, and Primitivism (1995)
- Social Anarchism or Lifestyle Anarchism: An Unbridgeable Chasm (1995)
- The Third Revolution Vol. 1-4 (1996-2003)
- The Murray Bookchin Reader (1997)
- Anachism, Marxism, and the Future of the Left: Interviews and Essays, 1993-1998 (1998)
- Social Ecology and Communalism (2007)
Please also see the detailed Murray Bookchin bibliography hosted by Anarchy Archives.
- The Earth Brokers: Power, Politics and World Development (with Prattap Chatterjee) (1994)
- Learning Our Way Out: Adult Education at a Crossroads (2001)
Books by Matthias Finger can be best acquired through the respective publishers.
- Start with Soil: The Organic Gardener’s Guide to Improving Soil for Higher Yields, More Beautiful Flowers,
and a Healthy, Easy-Care Garden (1997)
- The Soul of Soil (1999)
Books by Grace Gershuny can best be acquired through the respective publishers.
- The Ecology of Everyday Life (1999)
This book by Chaia Heller can be best acquired through the publisher, Black Rose Books.
- Deschooling Our Lives (1998)
- Field Day: Getting Out of School (2003)
- Watch Yourself: Why Safer Isn’t Always Better (2007)
- Everywhere All the Time: A New Deschooling Reader (2008)
Books by Matt Hern can be best acquired by contacting the respective publishers.
- One Size Does Not Fit All (1993)
- What Kind of Name is That (1995)
- Arts for Change: Teaching Outside the Frame (2009)
Books by Beverly Naidus can be best acquired by contacting the respective publishers.
- Ecofascism: Lessons from the German Experience (co-written with Janet Biehl) (1996)
This book by Peter Staudenmaier can be best acquired through the publisher, AK Press.
- The Green Alternative: Creating an Ecological Future (1987; Revised Edition, 1992)
- Earth for Sale: Reclaiming Ecology in the Age of Corporate Greenwash (1999)
- Redesigning Life? The Worldwide Challenge to Genetic Engineering (editor) (2001)
- Gene Traders: Biotechnology, World Trade, and the Globalization of Hunger (editor) (2004)
- Toward Climate Justice: Perspectives on the Climate Crisis and Social Change (2010)
- Agriculture and Food in Crisis: Conflict, Resistance and Renewal (co-edited with Fred Magdoff, 2010)
Books by Brian Tokar can best be acquired through the following links:
The Green Alternative is currently out of print; the best means of acquiring it would be to contact a reputable book reseller, such as abebooks.com.